Travels of Deep Kick Girl

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Memories of Colombia

At every set of traffic lights throughout Medellin and Bogota (and I assume other major cities in Colombia) there are people selling stuff. Fruit - beautiful fresh fruit from the farms (strawberries, cherries, mangosteens??, plums), mobile phone accessories, Christmas decorations... the list goes on. At the toll booths on the mountain road leading to and from Medellin many men sell packets of homemade local delicacies - sweets and most importantly what they call pork rind - pork crackling to you and me. This is a national delicacy and I am amazed that anyone lives past 30. It is quite literally packets of deep fried pork skin, salted, and very delicious (and I'm sure 99% fat and cholesterol). Vicky's husband bought us a couple of packets and of course I had to consume 90% of both packets within two days. I was disgusted with myself but what can you do when that delicous crackling is calling you... " Kathy, we're so crunchy and delicious. You know you want us... come on, don't just sit there...".

The most memorable thing I saw "for sale" at a set of traffic lights was puppies. Yes, a litter of gorgeous Chow Chow puppies - golden brown, chocolate brown and gray. Their mum was sleeping under a tree on a blanket and a couple of guys were shoving handfuls of puppies through the window at us. Of course my crazed mind automatically started trying to work out how we'd get a puppy home from Colombia (and as everyone knows we are the worst pet owners in the universe and should not even be allowed to consider the possibility of another pet, let alone a puppy from Colombia). Luckily the lights changed and Vicky sped off. Saved again!



Another important memory from Colombia is women and clothes. Especially in Medellin, but also in Bogota, women, ALL WOMEN, dress amazingly well. Not just well but in skin tight clothes, even those who shouldn't. There must be some legislation in place which bans women wearing baggy t-shirts, worn out tracky daks, or anything which isn't designed for 15 year old anorexic prostitutes. It is 90% skimpy, skin tight and skin exposing. Even middle aged and older women wear cut off tops, super slinky jeans and stiletto shoes. It is unbeleivably. I have felt like the world's biggest DAG the last few weeks. My simple attire of jeans, t-shirts and sneakers just doesn't cut the fashion mustard around here. Even poor people dress better than me. However, when I tried to buy some more stylish tops they didn't seem to make sizes for lard-arses like myself. A few shops stocked an Extra Large but even that was so tight on me it looked painted on (and that isn't a good look). Don't get me wrong, most of the women look fantastic. Their clothes, shoes and handbags MATCH. They wear tasteful accessories which match their clothes. They generally look elegant and very well groomed. I just can't imagine that much dedication to looking good, day in, day out. Who has that sort of stamina? I am just happy if I can put on something clean and comfortable, make up is just for special occassions, and stilettos... forget about it.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger Julia said…

    I really want to say something...but I'll keep out of it - for now :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home