Travels of Deep Kick Girl

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

In the immortal words of Michael Buble...

Another aeroplane
Another sunny place
I’m lucky I know
But I wanna go home
Mmmm, I’ve got to go home
Let me go home
I’m just too far from where you are
I wanna come home...

I couldn't have said it better myself Michael!

But seriously, I want to send my best wishes to Dave, Mel, Seb and Stacey who are anxiously waiting to travel to Colombia to bring home their gorgeous new daughter Valentina. I hope that she is recovering quickly and that you will be with her soon. We're thinking of you.

It's Tuesday late afternoon and we are the business end of our big trip. After this I will head back to the hotel to finish packing and relax. We will be picked up at 8:30 am tomorrow and our flight leaves at 12:25 pm. Bring it on!

Yesterday afternoon, after my last post, we wondered around central London. Jason was going to go on the Beatles tour but decided it was too hard to leave me with both children. Will is being less than obedient at the moment and even with both of our constant attention he is constantly in danger of tripping over or running into people - long story.

We found a small carnival of rides in the middle of the theatre district and Will enjoyed an hour or so of rides - including on a giant chicken on the Merry-go-round. Then we got the tube to Knightsbridge and Harrods. Oh my god, what a place. Really it's just like a very very upmarket David Jones but because Christmas madness is upon us it really is like the depths of hell... a very expensive hell. We didn't go everywhere because there simply wasn't room to move but we did see a very plain man's jumper for £360 and pheasants in the meat section of £57 / kg. While it looked outrageous to me there certainly was no shortage of willing shoppers handing over their hard earned. We wanted to have afternoon tea but there were queues for the queues for all of the eating counters, including Krispy Kreme... sheesh!

So just got some souvenirs (one bag full = one week's wages) and decided to walk back to our street to have an early dinner at the steak house down the road. It was a great walk, apart from Will complaining about being tired and wanting to go to the hotel not go out for dinner. We enjoyed a very nice dinner steak dinner for about three times what it would have cost us in Sydney and went back to the hotel to relax. Jason then decided he wanted to have a beer in a "real" British pub so he went off down the road - where he met three Aussies and a guy who used to play guitar with the Rolling Stones (???).

This morning we slept in or at least lazed around since we didn't have any sort of schedule (for the first time since we've been in England). At about 9:30 am we went down the road for a big (all day) breakfast at the very English cafe (staffed entirely by Eastern European young girls, a lot of that here). We got two giant plates of chips, sausage, bacon, egg, baked beans and half a big baguette. I shared mine with Will and still barely got through it.

Then we walked down to the Musuem of Natural History which is only about two blocks away. It was a great way to spend a few hours. Will particulary loved the moving, roaring model of the T-Rex and had to go back twice to see it. Then we walked through Kensington Gardens, past the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain, which was very peaceful and nice - not exactly what I may have designed, but still very nice. Then we continued all the way through the Gardens into the city to the Hard Rock Cafe (Jason's pick of course). Despite myself I had a great time. There is memorabilia everywhere and I liked seeing guitars owned by The Ramones and The Sex Pistols. The food was also really good and Marianna sat happily in the high chair playing with her plastic spoon and bopping to the ear splitting music. No visit (to anywhere on our trip) would be complete without a stop at the souvenir shop and this was no exception.

So here we are... at the end of our crazy, wonderful, tiring, exciting, amazing trip. I can't really believe we've survived and haven't killed each other and are still on speaking terms. We've even managed to have some wonderful, memorable times along the way.

A few memories of England:

* The COLD, the mind-numbing, bone-chilling COLD.

* The best hot chocolate ever, with whipped cream and a Flake, enjoyed in a tiny, quaint Portsmouth cafe in a cobble-stoned back street on our first misty afternoon. Oh, heaven.

* Chichester Cathedral... really beautiful.

* Portchester Castle...

* The London Eye...

I feel all things considered we've done really well to see a lot in a short amount of time with two children in tow. While everyone we came across gave us yet another list of things we REALY SHOULD see or SHOULD HAVE seen I think we've seen quite a lot. We've been lucky with the weather - no rain - which has allowed us to be out and about everyday, despite the cold.

I can't wait to get home and see the photos and watch the video, maybe then I'll feel I've actually lived this trip but at times it has been an out of body experience.

Goodbye England... hello Sydney, Australia. Have you ever seen Sydney from a 747 at night?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home