Travels of Deep Kick Girl

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Update

The last two days have been very busy. On Tuesday Jason left me with the children and hit the shops for some "man stuff" shopping. It was easy being with Will and Mariana by myself as we spent the morning by the pool - Will swimming with his girlfriend Casey. Mariana dosed in her stroller. When it got too hot we went up to the room for some more relaxing.

Jason came back with a new outfit - shoes, belt, shirt, pants. All beautiful Colombian made stuff, top quality, for just over AUS$150. I'm sending him to that shop for another go.

Then we had dinner with Sue, George, Casey and Sydney as it was their last night. Will and Casey were really getting on like a married couple (we suggested they just needed a mortgage and a couple of credit cards and they'd be set). They were so cute together. We had a "hot rock" dinner at the poolside restaurant and it was DELICIOUS! Then they gave us some of their food leftovers from their room and we said goodbye. So sad to see them go (but good for them as they have been here quite a while).

Wednesday morning we had to be ready early to go for our ICBF appointment. I was a little anxious. After we climbed the seemingly 400 stairs to the ICBF office we waited to see the Protector of Minors. Finally we went into the office for our meeting with Vicky and Marie Jose. It all went well except this woman is very formidable (dare I say she came across as a stern drag queen?!). She didn't crack a smile the whole time and seemed determined to ask deep and meaningful questions. She even found something in some of the DoCS' paperwork which said that only people between 28 and 31 (???) were allowed to adopt in our state. Not sure if this was translated wrong or what but I felt as if she were suspicious when we told her that wasn't right.

Anyway, it didn't last that long (15 minutes) and we were out again and heading for our Medellin sightseeing trip. It was wonderful. Vicky drove us around the city, telling us a little about this building and that. We stopped outside the world's largest brick cathedral and Jason took some photos (Mariana had fallen asleep in my lap).

We then headed to the Botero museum. I'm not that much of an "arty" person but I really was in awe. I love Botero's work and seeing the huge paintings and sculptures before my very eyes was so special. I particularly love one called "Los Noches" (The Night) which was very dark with lots of little develish creatures flying over the city at night. I could have spent all day but of course it wasn't so much fun for the children (all three of them). So we looted the souvenir shop and moved on.

It was getting very hot by then (the hottest day we've had so far). We drove up the mountain to the replica old village and the scenic lookout. Jason and Will went up to the lookout while Vicky and I enjoyed a cold drink and Mariana slept in her stroller. Then we strolled around the little village and bought some souvenirs, including a traditional peasant outfit for Mariana for when she is older.

Vicky then drove us back to the hotel where I got Jay and the children settled in to the room, had a quick freshen up and set off for my solo shopping trip. We went with the Peurto Rican couple who are adopting Juan Enrico from La Casita, Juan and Amy. They went off while Vicky and I had a quick lunch and a chat. Then I gathered my courage and went shopping on my own, agreeing to meet Vicky in two hours. I did quite well, given my distinct lack of any meaningful Spanish. I bought a magnificent pair of hand made Colombian black boots (really they are stunning), a pair of super soft black loafers and a gorgeous pair of pink Mary Janes for Mariana. I also tried on some tops but really I couldn't find anything suitable for someone over 15 and larger than a size 8. I will write more about the way people dress in Medellin later.

Finally, exhausted, I returned to the hotel where everything was calm (I WAS a little worried). We bathed and fed Mariana and put her to bed, then ordered room service dinner (it's always so good and very reasonably priced).

Today we are going to have a quite morning at the hotel and then have an expidition to the newest shopping centre nearby which has three levels of children's rides - shopping and fun for Will, who could ask for more.

Saturday Vicky is taking us to the moutains to see more traditional villages, do some souvenir shopping and have lunch at the "famous" steak restaurant.

Keep those messages coming, I love to read the notes from our friends back home!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger Kath Lockett said…

    I hope you four have a wonderful weekend there - swimming, steaks, shopping and just enjoying it all. K xo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home