Travels of Deep Kick Girl

Thursday, November 17, 2005

If it's Thursday morning, it must be Medellin...

I have never been this tired in my entire life. Having traditionally been an 8 hour a night girl I have suddenly plunged into insomnia hell. I can't remember the last time I slept for more than one or two hours (it's been at least a week). Jason and I keep asking each other what day it is.

Well, last night we arrived in Medellin after a very very very long day of travelling. We were picked up before the crack of dawn, driven through the dark freeways and overpasses of LA to LAX and endured the hell of check in. Finally, zombie-like, we boarded for our FIRST CLASS flight to Miami. Don't know how the Americans define first class but I'll take good old Aussie Qantas Business Class anyday. Can't complain though, I'm sure no-one cares. The seats were comfy (though very old), the food was great (those fresh baked chocolate chip cookies they brought out before we landed were terrific - are you reading this JB?).

A comment on our flight across the US. It was bloody fantastic. The best flight in terms of scenery I've ever experienced. We must have passed every possible geographic landscape which exists. Mountains, rivers, deserts, swamps, forests... Incredible. I would doze off briefly, open my eyes and yet another glorious landscape was unfolding before my eyes. Luckily it was a crystal clear day so the view was unobstructed.

Then as we came closer to Miami we came across what I can only describe as a city of clouds. We flew over this majestic diaorama of clouds, perfect cotton wool white clouds. There were mountains and valleys and tunnels... all made of clouds. So beautiful it was literally breathtaking... I will remember this flight as long as I live.

Then we rushed around Miami airport chaotically trying to figure out how to re-check in. It was madness but in the end very simple. Through Will we also made some friends... a mother, teenage daughter and four year old son who were Medellin natives, now living in LA, and travelling to Medellin for some medical help for the daughter. The daughter was fourteen but looked older than the mother, who was simply stunning, like a model. The son, Steven, was stir crazy like Will from all the flying, so the two of them raced around the airport lounge and drove all the business passengers nuts.

The flight to Medellin was great. The food was amazing. I love having my order taken on board, like in a restaurant. We had a pre-dinner drink with HOT nuts. Then a green salad with artichoke hearts and a warm bread roll served with the BEST butter I've ever tasted. Then a prawn (shrimp) and scallop risotto which was devine. Finally a icecream crumble thingy which was yum but really just too much.

Getting out of the airport was a little chaotic as we were just exhausted but once out we were in the capable hands of our guide and instant friend Vicky. Loading our huge pile of luggage into her car, we managed to fit us, Vicky and her husband in as well. It was like one of those phone booths that 50 people pile out of. Because we flew in late (after 8:00 pm) Vicky took us to the local hotel - Los Palmas - which was very nice, though the pillows on the bed were ridiculously hard and square.

We were able to shower and collapse into bed where we watched the end of a Yahoo Serious movie with Spanish subtitles (somewhat bizarre yet comforting to hear those broad Aussie accents so far from home).

We were awake at 5:00 am as Will fell out of bed. Then we couldn't go back to sleep so we dressed and went down to a light breakfast at 6:00 am. By 7:00 am Vicky and her husband were back to take us to Medellin proper. A Peurto Rican couple are also adopting a baby from La Casita and they travelled with us.

The drive into Medellin was amazing, picturesque but also dangerous in a "life flashing before your eyes" sort of way. Glad I'm not driving, that's all I can say. Lots of armed patrols on the roads, soldiers, police, private security.

The Intercontinental is on the outskirts of Medellin, at the top of the mountain as you drive in. It is a beautiful hotel. Something important must be going on as there is a massive amount of security present and TV crews.

We are going to be taken to La Casita at 10:30 am. It is now 9:45 am. We will meet Mariana and take her with us. We will officially be a family of four at about 11:00 am. Then our lawyer will come to the hotel to see us this afternoon. I can't imagine us having much energy after that. But from tomorrow Vicky has a lot of sightseeing and shopping in store for us. Bring it on, I say. But first let's meet our gorgeous girl and fit in a little sleep.

PS A man in the lift said "Congratulations on winning the soccer yesterday". We stared at him blankly and then went "Oh, my GOD! We won???!!" How did that happen? Anyone care to send us a brief overview of the game which we shouldn't have won? Does that mean we are playing in the World Cup next year? Amazing!

2 Comments:

  • At 3:08 PM, Blogger Julia said…

    Amazing amazing. Just overwhelmed. I'm so glad I had a quick chat with you and heard Mariana playing with Will. Unforgetable.

    Sorry to hear about the lack of sleep, I'm sure once it all sinks in and the routine develops you will be able to relax, settle in and get the sleep you need.

    Yes! We are through to the World Cup! It has been madness here since Wednesday night and with you en route to Medellin it slipped my mind to tell you! Uruguay scored 1-0 in Montevideo so the pressure really was on to equalise or beat them. But we scored a goal in the 18th minute, then it went into extra time and no goals, which lead to a penalty shoot out. Mark Schwartz's saves were amazing, and we scored the winning goal.

    Dad and Bob went and could not stop raving about the atmosphere (I of course missed most of the game as mum and I were in the movies for the Jewish Film Festival - had the phone with me awaiting results from Natalie). Bob is still hoarse and dad - get this - took his ticket to get framed up the road! Can you believe it? Our father!

    The radio was (and still is) flooded with people calling to say they have never been so proud to be Australian and calling for a national holiday, and that they are booking their flights to Germany now. Yesterday I got online to seriously look at frequent flyer flights thinking it would all be gone - but, I can get TO Germany fine but there is nothing in all of Europe in all of July getting BACK to Sydney, so I am very peeved and ignoring the situation.

    Enjoy the sightseeing, shopping and SLEEP and biggest huggles and kisses to Mariana, my angel Will and Jay. Love you infinitely dear sister xxoxx

     
  • At 7:36 PM, Blogger Kath Lockett said…

    I know I'm out of date reading this, but already my heart is pounding with expectation !

     

Post a Comment

<< Home